Safety & Hazards
Add to reading list
I was working from 1979 to 1985 as a consulting scientist on safety analysis and the technical risk assessment of major hazards in the oil and chemical industries. Most of the work listed below was through my role at Technica, where I was a founding director and shareholder. Technica was a new company, set up by four colleagues and myself in 1981 to advance the new science of technical risk assessment. See Technica brochures from 1981 and 1983 here & here. Our team at Technica was highly innovative, growing fast and becoming the market leader in this specialist subject area within three years. I left in 1985 (to join Shell International). Technica was later bought by the Norwegian company Det Norske Veritas.
Published reports, presentations & papers
21. Pyman MAF (1986) The risk of ship/platform collisions in the area of the United Kingdom continental shelf. Report by Technica Ltd for the UK Dept of Energy. Published by Her Majesty’s Stationery Office (HMSO) 1986. ISBN-13: 9780114128579 ISBN-10: 011412857X
20. Pyman MAF (1985) Prediction of the proportion of errant vessels in traffic lanes on the United Kingdom continental shelf: Report. Report by Technica Ltd for the UK Dept of Energy. Published by HMSO 1985. ISBN-13: 9780114119119. ISBN-10: 0114119112.
19. Pyman MAF (1985) Survey of ship traffic routes on the UK continental shelf. Report by Technica Ltd for the UK Dept of Energy. Published by HMSO 1985.
18. Pyman MAF (1983) Risk assessment of emergency evacuation from offshore installations. Report by Technica Ltd for the UK Dept of Energy. Published by HMSO 1983.
17. Pyman MAF (1982) Major hazards to offshore platforms and the use of risk analysis to minimise them. Paper presented to the Conference ‘Risk Analysis and integrity monitoring of offshore structures’ organised by the Society of Underwater Technology, Institute of Mechanical Engineers. London, October 4, 1982. See pdf copy here.
16. Pyman MAF and Gjerstad T (1983) Experience in applying hazard assessment techniques offshore in the Norwegian sector. Paper presented at the 5th Loss Prevention Symposium, Institution of Chemical Engineers, Harrogate, UK. October 1983. See pdf copy here.
15. Pyman MAF and Jones OCW (1983) A pragmatic error-bound simulation model for use with event trees in major hazards risk assessments. Paper presented at the conference Reliability 83, Birmingham, UK. July 1983.
14. Pyman MAF and Lyon PR (1985) Casualty rates in abandoning vessels at sea. Journal of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects, 1985. See pdf copy here.
13. Pyman MAF and Mitchell FR (1982) Identifying major process hazards at the concept design stage. Paper presented at Design ’82 Symposium, Organised by the Institution of Chemical Engineers, Birmingham, UK. November 1982.ISBN-13: 9780852951507. See pdf here.
12. Pyman MAF and Roberts HR (1983) Risk assessment of offshore pipelines and risers. Paper presented to the conference ‘Pipelines and the offshore environment’, Organised by Pipes & Pipelines International and supported by Pipelines Industry Guild. London. Feb 15, 1983. See pdf copy here.
11. Pyman MAF and Slater DH (1983) An objective numerical assessment of the risks of emergency evacuation from offshore structures. Paper presented at the conference ‘Marine Survival Craft: Liferafts, Lifeboats, Survival Systems’, organised by the Royal Institution of Naval Architects in association with The Nautical Instittute. London. November 14-16, 1983. See pdf copy here.
10. Pyman MAF, Austin JA and Lyon PR (1983) Ship-platform collision risk in the UK sector. Paper presented at the Symposium on collisions with bridges and fixed offshore structures, IABSE, Copenhagen. May 30, 1983. See pdf copy here.
9. Pyman MAF, Austin JA and Lyon PR (1984) The risks of collision between merchant shipping and offshore platforms in the UK sector of the North Sea. Journal of the Permanent International Association of Navigation Congresses, No. 44, pp37-43, 1984. See pdf copy here.
8. Pyman MAF, Bratsberg Ø and Boult DM (1985) Evaluation of modern emergency evacuation systems. Paper presented at the conference ‘Offshore Gøteburg’, Gøthenburg, Sweden. February 25-March 1st, 1985. See pdf copy here.
7. Pyman MAF, Lyon PR and Rowe May G (1985) Navigational practice in the vicinity of offshore installations. Journal of the Institute of Navigation, 1985.
6. Pyman MAF, Lyon PR and Rowe May G (1985) A survey of traffic passing offshore installations in the North Sea. Journal of the Institute of Navigation, Vol 37, 251, 1984. See pdf copy here.
5. Comer PJ, Miles A and Pyman MAF (1985) Riser safety and the effectiveness of subsea isolation valves. Paper presented at the conference ‘Offshore oil and gas pipeline technology’ Amsterdam. January 24-25, 1985. See pdf copy here.
4. Cox RA, Pyman MAF and Seaman M (1981) Operational aspects of terminal site selections, design and cargo transfer operations. Paper presented at the seminar ‘Risks to the shoreline from the shipment of hazardous cargoes’, Oyez IBC, London. April 1981. See pdf copy here.
3. Cox RA, Pyman MAF, Sheppard PA and Cooper JPS (1979) Models for evaluating the probabilities and consequences of possible outcomes following release of toxic or flammable gases. Paper presented at the ‘Schwere Gase’ Symposium, Battelle Institute, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. September 3-4, 1979. See pdf copy here.
2. Cox RA, Comer PJ, Pyman MAF and Slater DH (1979) Safety Issues in the siting of modern LNG terminals. Paper presented at the 7th Gastech Conference, Houston USA, 1979. See pdf copy here.
1. Lyon PR, Pyman MAF and Slater DH (1981) Port planning and management aspects of of the safe shipment of LNG and LPG. Paper presented at the 8th Gastech Conference, Hamburg, Germany. October 1981. See pdf copy here.
Pyman MAF (1981) Levels of carbon monoxide experienced whilst cycling in central London. Clean Air, Vol 11 (1), 1981. See pdf copy here.